Flexible hoses for water and air are designed to convey tap water, industrial water, sewage, cooling water, cold and hot water for washdown applications and to transfer compressed air (compressors, pneumatic tools, hose reels). The hoses are made of rubber, PVC, polyurethane, polyethylene and reinforced with textile braid or cord, with plastic or steel wire helix. Except for general purpose hoses this group also covers:
- special purpose hoses intended to cool furnaces in steel mills, resistant to high temperature and heat radiation;
- lay flat fire hoses on hose reels;
- sewage hoses used to empty portable toilets and septic tanks;
- hoses for exhaust systems and sanitary installations of yachts and boats;
- hoses intended for snow making equipment;
- hot air blower hoses used on tank trucks;
There is also a special type of hoses in this group – layflat delivery hoses with a very thin wall, which are collapsible when not in use and that is why they are widely used as fire hoses, fire hydrant hoses, irrigation hoses, watering hoses in agriculture and at construction sites.
Fittings intended for water and air hoses (see INDUSTRIAL FITTINGS) should be mounted with worm-drive clamps and bolt clamps, they can be crimped with ferrules using crimping machines, taped or wired.
For water and air hoses see also: steam rubber hoses, food hoses, chemical hoses, ducting hoses, steel hoses, PTFE hoses, silicone hoses, TYGON® tubing, peristaltic pump tubing, and in the following sections: HIGH PRESSURE HYDRAULICS (HIGH PRESSURE), CLEANING AND WASHING, PNEUMATICS.